Replacement Parts and System Component Qualification Certificate Program
Replacement Parts and System Component Qualification Certificate Holders
Click here to go to a directory of current holders of Replacement Parts and System Component Qualification Certificates.
Provisions of the Replacement Parts and System Component Qualification Certificate Program
Participation in the 3-A SSI Replacement Parts and System Component Qualification Certificate (RPSCQC) Program is open to manufacturers of replacements parts or system components. The RPSCQC is beneficial to certificate holders and customers because it affirms that such parts or system components are compatible with the design criteria found in the relevant 3-A Sanitary Standard(s). The RPSCQC is often used use in sales or marketing information.
Applicants for a RPSCQC must submit all application materials on-line to 3-A SSI, including all required supporting information and payment. A company executive is required to verify the application, the Certificate of Quality Control, Certification of Conformance, and the 3-A RPSCQC Program Agreement.
Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) which hold a 3-A Symbol authorization or complete systems manufacturing/installation firms need not participate in this program. OEMs which have been granted a 3-A Symbol Authorization are considered as having met the requirements of this program for all associated replacement parts. Complete systems manufacturing/installation firms should not participate in the 3-A process Certificate Program.
The replacement part or systems component manufacturer shall satisfy the following conditions:
- Apply to 3-A SSI and pay a one-time application fee for participation in the program and the annual Certificate fee.
- The replacement part or system component manufacturer will obtain and submit a full Third Party Verification (TPV) inspection, including a site visit, for the replacement part(s) or system component(s) to be covered by the Certificate. The applicant is responsible for obtaining the TPV inspection. The TPV inspection must be conducted by an independent inspection professional credentialed by 3-A SSI, a Certified Conformance Evaluator (CCE). Replacement parts include any items intended for use in equipment built in accordance to a 3-A Sanitary Standard or a processing system covered by a 3-A Accepted Practice. A replacement part cannot be covered by its own 3-A Sanitary Standard to be eligible for participation in the program; for example, rupture vents are not eligible. System components are any components that can be supplied that conform to a 3-A Accepted Practice after the components are installed in a processing system.
- The TPV shall be based on a specific declared base standard or Accepted Practice (i.e., pumps, fillers, compression valves, instantizing systems). In the case of a replacement part or system component that can cover multiple standards or accepted practices, all standards and accepted practices must be declared and the replacement part or system component shall meet the most restrictive criteria applicable from the base standard(s).
- The 3-A SSI RPSCQC holder must obtain a renewal TPV inspection every five (5) years, similar to the renewal TPV inspection requirement for 3-A Symbol authorization.
- The Certificate holder shall not mark the replacement part or system component in any manner to indicate participation in this program. The RPSCQC shall convey all such acknowledgment. This Certificate will bear a complete listing of replacement part or system component types, the models/names, and serial numbers (if appropriate) which have been inspected and the specific 3-A Sanitary Standard(s) or Accepted Practice(s) that were used in the TPV inspection. 3-A SSI may make copies of complete Certificates available on-line for public inspection to help maintain the veracity of Certificates that have been issued.
- Use of the Certificate is subject to provisions of the 3-A SSI Agreement which accompanies the application.
- While not necessary, an OEM or systems design/installation firm which already possess a 3-A Symbol Authorization or Process Certification (and has obtained the required TPV inspection), may obtain a 3-A SSI Replacement Part and System Component Qualification Certificate if they desire to satisfy a customer request. The OEM or systems design/installation firm does not need obtain another TPV inspection for the RPSCQC. These companies have already participated in a TPV to verify that all of their component parts or systems, which may be used as replacement parts or system subcomponents, conform to the appropriate 3-A Standard(s) or Accepted Practice(s). Neither is the Certificate of Quality Control necessary to be filed by such applicants. However, the OEM or systems design/installation firm must complete and return the application form with a complete list of the items to be shown on the Certificate and the required fees. The applicant must also sign and return the 3-A SSI RPSCQC Program Agreement.
An OEM may utilize the RPSCQC Program as an added quality assurance control step when purchasing component parts from outside suppliers. This arrangement is between the OEM and the supplier and not a requirement of 3-A SSI.
- An organization holding a 3-A SSI RPSCQC may state this in its sales or marketing literature. The organization may state that items listed on the Certificate meet the requirements of the applicable provisions of 3 A Sanitary Standard(s) or Accepted Practice(s). 3-A SSI recommends the following declaration:
(Part Names/Models/Numbers, or System Component Names/Models/Numbers) holds a 3-A SSI Replacement Parts and System Component Qualification Certificate and conforms to applicable provisions of (3-A Sanitary Standard # or 3-A Accepted Practice #).
Neither 3-A SSI nor its employees “approve”, “certify”, “rate”, or “endorse” the design, construction, or use of the equipment and there shall be no statements or implications, which might so indicate. Unauthorized use of the 3-A SSI RPSCQC, or improper statements regarding its scope or purpose is not allowed and may result in the discontinuance or revocation of the Certificate and/or other actions determined suitable by 3-A SSI.
Upon revision of the applicable 3-A Sanitary Standard or Accepted Practice, new Certificates, or renewals of Certificates, based upon the 3-A Sanitary Standard or Accepted Practice in effect prior to the revision shall not be valid for replacement parts or system components manufactured after the effective date of the revised 3-A Sanitary Standard or Accepted Practice. Holders of Certificates for replacement parts or system components manufactured after the effective date of the revised 3-A Sanitary Standard or accepted practice shall submit the documentation required.
When a holder of a Certificate wishes to modify the design, fabrication, or materials of construction of covered equipment or machinery or system components; or add one or more models conforming to the applicable 3-A Sanitary Standard or Accepted Practice upon which the new or renewal Certificate was predicated, the Certificate may be amended upon the filing of an application (or applications by the non-manufacturer and manufacturer(s), supported by pertinent data required).
Certificates shall expire on the date shown. Each holder of a Certificate shall be notified by 3-A SSI and provided renewal information approximately 90 days prior to the expiration date. The application forms for renewal of a Certificate shall conform to provisions of the TPV Manual.
A Certificate may be relinquished by the holder. If such relinquishment is announced by all of the manufacturers of replacement parts or system components for a non-manufacturer, the Certificate non-manufacturer automatically expires.
All completed applications and all other required materials and payment shall be submitted on-line to 3-A SSI.
See the 3-A SSI Manual for Third Party Verification (TPV) for 3-A Symbol Authorization and 3-A Process Certification.
Manage a Replacement Parts and System Component Qualification Certificate.
Click here to see the 2018 Schedule of Fees.